domingo, 13 de enero de 2019

Simply Me


Several years ago, as part of my therapy, a psychologist asked me who I am… The answer came in the form of a poem, which,  over the next session, only made the therapist ask me to be more concise and to not overthink the matter, response that still makes me laugh… Now, I deeply believe that this poem answers the question beautifully, especially because the instruction was to not say I’m a writer because that’s my “profession”, or a woman because that’s my “gender”, or that I am “daughter of” someone, or that I’m “a dreamer”, or that “I like this or that”…  I added all of that and more, because forming these verses allowed me to express that I accept me as I am, and provided me with more healing than many months of therapy.

I had originally published it in this blog back in 2014, in its original Spanish form, but I translated it upon settling in Glastonbury. There is no real reason as to why I hadn’t published it, but today seems the perfect day for doing so, as it yesterday (Saturday January 12th) was my birthday, and I spent it modelling for a charity event for the benefit of Children’s World! At the end of the poem you’ll find a picture of me on the catwalk, embodying the Goddess Arianrhod by the aid of the extremely talented and lovely Robyn Jean. The photo was taken by my husband, actor and playwright Stephen Cole. Even nearly nine years old, the poem contains my heart in it. I hope you enjoy it.



Who am I?

After days and days of mulling over this question, these words started flowing uncontrollably last minute. (Monday 6th July, 2010).

I am a singing voice,

I am illusion and hope.

I am thought, laughter and fun.

I am my breasts, my face and my hair,

                my hips, my arms and my legs.

I’m the sea and I’m the Sierra,

I’m the proud gaze from the mirror,

I am song, poem and novel,

I am light, I am shadow, and I’m the passing cloud.

I am dawn, twilight, and everything in-between.

I am talent, I am friend and I’m a teacher,

                though I don’t yet know what classes I impart.

I’m a bird, a cat, a doe in the serene forest of peace.

I am colour, I am love,

but I’m never, never pain or woe.

I am a girl, a woman, a Goddess,

                and will be old some day, ahead,

                yet I choose to keep my joy and youth.

I am daughter, sister,

                cousin, niece, granddaughter,

maybe future mother of a precious being,

wife (let’s hope) I shall be when I decide it so.

I’m the starry mantle that covers the Earth,

I’m the Moon, I’m Venus, I’m the Sun.

I’m finesse, tenderness and romance,

I’m the wind, the rain, the golden flame and the earth under my feet.

I’m my voice, my dreams and my own reason,

I’m a passionate kiss and the soft caress of my fingertips.

I am gold and I am silver,

I’m a diamond, a ruby and an emerald,

                I’m the healing chrystal and a thousand polished stones.

I’m a whisper, booming laughter,

                a drum, a violin and a guitar.

I’m contradiction, January and August,

                I’m health, freedom and understanding,

                and I’m also the shining light of my intuition.

No matter how many changes I undergo,

                I am always, always, always me.

I am, nothing more and nothing less,
This woman that I always am.

Sandra Tena Cole ~ Actress, Model, Writer, Esoteric Explorer, Dreamer, Weaver


Robyn Jean's Instagram: @bodyartbyrobynjean


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario