viernes, 1 de enero de 2016

The things I learned last year

I thought it’d be nice to start off this blog again with something of the “Things I’ve learned” series.  This past year has been most influential in my learning process, indeed!  So full of blessings and travels and stress… so full of surprises and longing and joy…  Yes, they can all coexist.  I already knew some of the issues on this list, but what I gained from finding new angles to look at them from was a better understanding of them, and more appropriate ways of expressing them.

1.      I learned that trying to come up with “new” material is not always the way to go when you’re on the healing path (for yourself or for others).  The thing is, I’d stopped writing briefly because I felt that everything that I had to say, I’d already said; I thought I was being repetitive, but in fact I was doing my own inner Labyrinth, where I have to keep walking for a while because I’ve yet to reach the exit and start again.  That’s what we’re doing all our lives, whether we realise it or not: we enter the path, we spiral and keep looking at the same situations but from different angles, then we reach our centre, we get our balance, take a deep breath and begin the journey out again, this time wiser and even able to teach others from our experience if we wish… Then in we go again and start afresh, because the human being is always growing, always evolving whether they intend it or not.  So, while I’m doing the promised re-editing of the entries I’ve already got here, I might revisit some of the subjects under different lights, and see what happens ;)

2.      I realised that letting go of the blogs in order to focus on my novel was definitely not the way to go!  Of course, for those who don’t know (or rather for out-right bragging purposes), I just got married!  After such a long period of aching dryness, I met the love of my life and my whole world changed within a year… Yet for the past few months all my writing energy was put into the planning of the wedding, and I do have to wonder: if I’d been carrying on with either of my blogs, would it have made a big difference on how much more of my novel I’d finished?  This is of course an “I will never know” kind of situation, but one thing is for sure: in the half a year I didn’t follow-up on my blogs, I only finished part 1 of Iar, so I think this year I will carry on with two blogs and balance out the novel… and I’ll let you know what happens!

3.      I realised that no matter how different you are from your family, how strange you seem to them and how much that sets you apart outwardly, the genetic memories and paradigms that run as blockages in your family are still deeply ingrained in you, and sometimes even worse, because you feel so different that you never see the blockages coming until they start acting up!  So, those are the ones to watch out for, precisely because you’d never thought they were a part of you.

4.      I learned that the world needs more people talking about, understanding and yearning for natural beauty than I had given it credit for…  This issue about magazine beauty being “what attracts attention” really has to stop – when we say magazine looks are fake, it simply means that people who look more natural are actually more beautiful, because we can see the real shapes and shades of bodies and faces, instead of plaster, gloss or glitter...  Think very deeply about this, because it’s time that realising that every shape and every shade has its own beauty becomes the thing to live by (not the trend to follow, but the thing to believe and feel happy and at peace with!).

5.      Yet the other kind of natural beauty must not be forgotten, either!  No “new learning” here for me, I just wanted to point out how important it is for our health and spirit to get back to the enjoyment of nature, be it mountains, lakes, sea or desert, and anything in-between...

6.      I learned that the world needs more people talking about, understanding and yearning for being in love than I had given it credit for, too…

7.      I learned to cook a whole bunch of different yummy dishes which I hope I don’t forget before I get back home!

8.      I realised that no matter how emotionally independent you already are, there will always be someone telling you how to deal with a difficult situation (i.e., being away from your new husband for political/economic reasons during Christmas break, or how to act around your new husband so that he remains in love with you)…  And more often than not they won’t let you have your say…

9.      Referring to that, there will always be the “I have to tell you something but don’t say anything back” person in your life.  You know the one I mean, “I have some advice to give you, and it’s up to you whether you take it or leave it, just don’t say anything about it, because even though I’m not living your life or have any idea what you’re going through, if you try to explain to me things I don’t understand about your situation, it’ll just mean that you’re someone who doesn’t want to change, lacks the force of will to do anything about your situation and/or are just bellicose, self-justifying and argumentative.”  Sound familiar?  Yes, because they’re always there and they’ll always be there…  But the thing is that it’s their problem, not yours!  It can be someone who loves you more deeply, even your own mum or grandmother (all right, it’s usually those people!), but that’s because they come from a paradigm where if you say your feelings it’s because you’re being quarrelsome with them and also most probably from a generation in which it was believed that women had to be sitting down, smiling quietly and giggling and laughing only harmonically in order to be perceived as lovely and attracting men to them – if a woman was sarcastic or showed feelings of dislike towards something, or felt a painful stab at something their family members said and came back with an answer, then they were rude and unlovable all of a sudden.  No…? Doesn’t ring a bell?  Was that just Latin America, then…?  I don’t know, but anybody reading this from anywhere in the world and feels related to it, feel free to take the advice of remembering that it’s their problem, not yours!

10.   I learned how important it is for the world to understand that men also have it socially hard regarding similar issues ladies do…  This seems like a very basic thing not to have learned by the age of 33, but when you’ve spent your life either single or with really bad experiences of men, it’s hard to learn even the basic things, especially when all my male friends are so laid back that I often thought that because they deal with it differently than us it was somehow easier for them…  But it’s not about how easy or hard it is, because that actually applies to every single human being on the face of the earth: everyone feels differently, so something that might be easy for one might be difficult for the other, and that doesn’t make the one stronger than the other or vice versa!  The fact is that the new wave of feminism is in dire need of balance…  There are some activists out there, like the by-now-loved-by-all Emma Watson who seem to be doing things right, but we still need more people to hop on board and make sure that this is a win-win situation for both genders…

11.   I learned how to handle babies!!  More or less…

12.   I learned that people won’t appreciate what you’re saying about your health, emotional situation, or job/marital/living status until you show them a good article on such a subject.  All right, I was being sarcastic with the “I learned” bit, I’ve always known that, but I momentarily forgot and it came back to bite me in the bum…

Thank you for being here with me in this re-launch of my blog…  I hope you enjoyed yourselves, and that you enjoy your first weekend of the year ;)

Cheers and blessings and happy 2016!!

Sandra Cole ≈ Writer, dreamer, healer, lover

 

Read more about my healing activities at: http://clarityfound.today/


And about my literary works at: https://www.facebook.com/clarityfound/



 

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario