viernes, 13 de marzo de 2015

Glastonbury Tales, pt.5

It was six months ago today that I met Stephen Cole in person for the first time, here in Glastonbury; at a café a couple of minutes walk from our house, as a matter of fact.  It’s been a very impressive half a year, I must say, even though anybody following this blog can ascertain that for themselves and no one might even need me to say it to notice it!  It’s no secret that Stephen gave me a push forward in my healing even weeks before we met, which is why today I’m marking it as a special date.  Even if calendars are just numbers and time as we know it is just a way for humans to keep track of what they’re doing with their lives, I have to admit that this moment of “First half” is very significant indeed!  It was a mix of elements that could have only been achieved by all the other decisions I made before in my life, which include: Changing my BA from Graphic Design to International Relations (I knew it would come in handy some day); waiting to begin my MA to have a family instead (failed); coming to Europe to do some workshops instead of my MA (getting on the right track); deciding to apply to Newcastle, and consequently to Leazes Terrace for accommodation and furthermore to the Santander Latin America Scholarship (definitely the right track!); making friends with Cata Largacha so that when we went to London for a scholarship reception we decided to do a “Secret and Unbelievable London” type of tour, instead of a traditional one, because we’d both been there enough times to know most things by heart (except Westminster, Stephen would say, given that *that’s* where I got us lost the day we got together… I still can’t understand how I could have been expected to focus on where we were walking if they’d left me alone with him!), we’d rather do the quirky and mysterious bits of London that most people don’t know about (ding ding ding ding ding!); going with her to The School of Life and buying the book Londoners, by Craig Taylor, where I read about Christina Oakley Harrington and Treadwells (best choice of book ever made!); moving to London after my MA, instead of staying in Newcastle (bingo!); going to Treadwells to hear a talk by Mani Navasothy there (wham, bam, life changed irrevocably now!); casually mentioning  Doctor Who to him, even though I was positively amateurish then, and nervously accepting his invitation to join his fan production team as none other than the very Doctor him(HER)self (happy nervous floppy Christmas dance); going to a couple of healing workshops in Mexico when I couldn’t get a job in England (just a little pause here, getting energized people!); deciding to come to England for the summer and try to get my novel from the MA published (poking my head in to see if things might go my way…); applying for a business workshop in Newcastle instead, but opting to do a full cleanup of Wideawake anyways (ding ding ding ding ding!); deciding not to come to Glastonbury on a particular weekend while I was somewhere nearby but waiting instead till Mani said we’d come for filming (Stephen and I both know that it wasn’t yet the right time to have met…  yep, this intuition thing seems to be paying off); and finally, coming to Glastonbury on the last weekend I would have been here before I got the acceptance from Newcastle…

… sigh…  Serendipity, they call it…  I followed my intuition in my decision-making, and though I’ve said and done some pretty stupid things, because either I’ve been too headstrong and not wanted to listen to myself, or I’ve just been blinded by fool’s gold (which ultimately heals us, too, btw, the stone), I could not be any more grateful for those mistakes!  And this is not a new way of thinking for me, incidentally, because just this morning I was surprised by a song in my computer… well, not surprised by the song itself, because I’ve had it in there for fifteen years or so, but by what it meant fifteen years ago: Graziemille, by 883, a song that I used to thank my parents with when they gave me the opportunity to do a year abroad in Italy.  I don’t know how much I’ve talked about those times, so I’ll make a brief recount of it, starting with what 883 meant for me in high school – not the band but the actual number: I had a friend who fancied the same guy that I did, but she was a couple years below us and I only spent time with her on recesses and afternoons; the guy we both fancied was my best friend back then, and she’d say that I didn’t deserve him because I spent so much time with him doing homework or watching basketball but never did anything romantic, so that others should have a chance with him instead (as if it was me who was holding him back from it… and he was *still* not the first reason for my being so incompetent with men, yikes!).  Anyway, she had a friend in her class and they called each other “8” (I was never sure why), and they’d say that I was “3”, because I was only with them half the time, so we were the “883”…

So, when I got to Italy, and I heard that song by 883, I was captivated – For every day, every instant, every little moment, that I’m living today, thank you so very much!  Those lyrics, even though the rest of the song did not apply to me, got to the very core of my heart.  Remember, this is Italy, where I was still friendless, socially awkward, struggling with not one but two new languages, living with a family that had horrible problems with me because I wanted to shower every day (and because I opted not to learn German because of how painful the grammar was becoming for me), and pegged as dangerously depressed –enough to be sent back to my parents before the program was over.  This is also the time when I was shunned by not only one but three school groups – all those that I took different classes with, because I managed to get into a couple more Art classes and a Religion course instead of Maths, Physics and Chemistry, given that I’d already graduated from high school…  Granted, I did keep a bit of correspondence with some of the few friends I made, but things grew a bit cold between all of us after some years…  And what's more, this is also the year when I fell in love for the first time and got burnt quite badly (the first “mature” love, I suppose, because even I know that whatever I felt at age 12 was pretty different, or anything else I’d  felt for friends before, for that matter).  Why would a person in that situation wish to be thankful for ongi giorno, ogni instante, ongi attimo, che sto vivendo?  Every little moment?  Really?  Well, the answer to that is: Yes, really.

Yes, yes yes yes!  I know it deep in my heart that back then I was feeling the gratitude with the same strength as I’ve manifested over the past few months.  See, in my life I’ve been told so many times that “I have to be grateful for the good things I already have”, and I never quite understood why people never saw that I already was!  I think that’s why over the past few months I went into full emotional disclosure, and that’s perhaps why I believe that this might help someone as well…  Some people might need to be listened at closer to hear the thanks they’re giving…

 Anyway, I need to go back to serendipity: I had a moment the other night where I saw myself as someone completely different from who I am now; not worse, not better, just different… The me that managed to get a job in London the first time around, that lived in Angel (not so much because of Angel Islington anymore, but rather because that’s where the young people are living “the life”); I was the one dating a suit and drinking wine over dinner with a neck covered in pearls and dainty roses and a deep and loud laughter because she’s bored and needs to seem as if she wasn’t – wait, I made it sound worse than I intended to… I mean, I specifically said “not worse, not better, just different” because I really mean no disrespect to anybody who actually lives that way!)…  To everyone their own, I always say, and truth be told, I probably wouldn’t even notice that I was unhappy unless I’d seen anything of what conforms my life now, and something stirred inside of me to let me know that I’d strayed…  No matter, I guess if people are happy living that way then there is nothing wrong with that!  Yet, forgetting about Angel Islington because too many people rejected them for being nerds, that’s where life gets sad, because that’s when the person lets go of their essence.  I cannot imagine my life any different than what it is now, especially when two years after my first encounter with Angel Islington I come to find him with Peter Capaldi’s face on my very own living room in the flat I share with Stephen in Glastonbury!

I’m sorry, but too many people are going on and on online about how to do your makeup this way or that, or how to create a perfect hair thing, or about exercise or how to be cool and whatnot…  And there is nothing wrong with wanting to look better or with wanting to know about the things that most people say are cool, but when we lose ourselves into that “in” crowd instead of letting our true selves shine through, that’s where it gets sad (again)…  But let’s not all become nerdy now, okay?  That’s not what I’m saying…  Now that being nerdy is cool, so many people want in just because that’s what everybody is doing, yet one thing is being accepting of everyone and another is trying to become like everyone!  Although, kudos for those closeted geeks that are finally coming out!  And also, one thing is to want to learn about those things that everybody is talking about to see if we like them (and if things are likable, then go for them), but another is to try to seem like you like something even though you don’t just so you feel accepted…  Another sigh…  I’ve done both, the second one is very energy-consuming, indeed…

I will go now, before I start myself in yet another subject…  See you next week and keep on the lookout for my literary news as well – that “Sliding Doors” type of mental-episode thing is becoming its own story as well!

Cheers!

Sandra Tena ≈ Writer, dreamer, seeker, lover

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario