viernes, 26 de septiembre de 2014

Doctor Where? No, wait... What?

Where am I from, then? Oh, the dreaded, dreaded question… Silence falls when I get asked that question! Lol.  To begin with let me say an absolute truth that the ones who’ve known me the longest will vouch for: I have not been able to answer that question ever since I was about six or seven years old… not even while being IN Mexico.  See, the thing about being from a place is that there are many elements that make it real, and as far as I can remember, I have not ever had the full array of elements in any place I have ever lived. Ever.  In Mexico, I felt it since I was a very young child, and I was told so by many, many people all through my life.

OK, when I say “I was told” it does not mean that I believe everything people say and walk around with it as my banner (well, I do believe many things and people can play the most awful jokes on me because I fall for funky things very, very easily, lol, but we all know that’s not what I mean…).  I was told in many different ways, both with words and with actions, and it both hurt and made me feel relieved at the same time.  Thing is, because both my parents are from different areas of the country, but moved to the city where I was born because of their jobs, I always felt it was an hypocrisy to my genetics to say that I was ONLY from Durango, you know? This happened because I learned to love Chihuahua and Monterrey so much as to call them home since that very early age when what you feel for family connections is a lot deeper than what you feel for the city where you’re constantly bullied… And, really, I think that happens even if the person is not being bullied!  Just to think of your grandparent’s houses, those magical places where you play with your cousins to your heart’s content and learn and grow under the sight of uncles and aunts that you love as closely as your own parents, well, that makes anyone feel like those places are their home, right?  Especially if you consider that in my case, it was only with my cousins that my sister and I could go full-blown fantasy without fear of being judged and criticized and bullied (in my case, I was painfully bullied ever since kindergarden, times from which I am getting a ton of scary memories back, now that I’ve opened so many doors of consciousness and healing).  We created stories with them, and amazing worlds and games that have lasted us forever, and I could not be happier than when I was in that little nook where I could invent, and then fly off to read if I wished, without getting awkward names being called out to me.  That goes both for Chihuahua and Monterrey; and the array of games we played were at all times either invented or taken from one of our favourite cartoons or books, so everything always had to do creation over those holidays spent with family.

Still, there was that little nagging thing that always made me feel different from everyone else, which was not merely the reading part, cos many other people did that, including my sister and some of my cousins, and they never expressed feeling as extremely an outsider as I did.  I know now that they all had their own path to thread, and many hardships in between who they were and who they are today, but it was usually me who people asked why I didn’t like the place where I “came from”.  Sure, even when we talk about Chihuahua and Monterrey there are some sensitive issues that make me go No, I cannot be Northern, can I? Lol, I’m always Northern, wherever I live (perhaps that’s why I’ve moved further South each time I move here in London?? To try to break from that pattern? We’ll see, lol).  The sensitive issues, far from stereotypes, are the music and the food. Any kind of Banda, Northern or the lines of music from Mexico makes me cringe to my very core, much like a lot of Latin music from other places.  Why? I would say that it’s a matter of personal taste, but it’s not so easy… Cos I tried, especially when I thought it was important to my friends and the man I was intending to marry (way way way way back then!!).  I stopped not only because he was far from worth it (not only of my changing of habits, but the whole of it), but also because there was no way I was finding any pleasure in it…  I do love Salsa and some Cumbia, cos there’s a lot of hip-swaying there, and a lot of classic Latin rock from bands that have been around since the eighties.  And let’s not forget Julieta Venegas and Porter, cos come on, they rock big time! So, just to be clear, it’s not that I’m against all kinds of Latin music, it’s just those that fill the air in social gatherings; so, for someone who’s already born socially awkward, there is the added hardship of being mostly quite annoyed and bad-tempered in *those* situations, which tend to be the defining “fitting in” moments in all youth’s lives.

That part, that’s the way I see it, it’s not about the music or even the over-drinking done by the people I wanted to hang out with, but the fact that my dislike for both made me a non-match for almost anyone… That is until University, thank the God and the Goddess for that, lol.  But still, I kept feeling very different, and my BA being International Relations there was more than one person who’d say that I had a more British way of thinking than anything else… Now I know a little bit better and I think we all made a mistake on that account! Lol.  I love England just as much as I have done ever since I fell in love with it when I was 12, but there are some aspects of that way of thinking that I now realize us foreigners tend to get wrong, the biggest of the ones is the whole reading on the tube thing… When I came over 4 years ago I felt like it had been a match made in heaven, me walking into any train or bus and being permitted to settle down with a wondrous book without provoking the sneers and annoying comments from everyone around me… oh, the surprise I got a few weeks back in Bath, when I read a section of a book written by a British woman and intended for us outsiders to understand the British silent rules; and it said “People in this country read in public transportation so as not to acknowledge anybody else in the world around them.  Not because they’re brainy, but because they do not wish to talk”. That was me paraphrasing, btw, but so many of my friends here have confirmed it, both British and non-British…  So, my whole belief system came crashing down with a single article.  The one place I thought I fit in, the Piccadilly line or whatever, and now it turns out that it was all a lie…

But see, the fact is that I enjoy reading, and I will do it in whichever country and whichever circumstance I can, so yes, I will forget all about the “real” British reason for all the reading in public transport and focus on my own one to do it in the first place!  Easy breezy… And to be fair, there are so many people here that looooove reading as much or even more than I do, so who cares if while on public transport the reasons may be different from person to person, right?  When it all comes down to it, I have more of a literary life here than in any other place in the world, and I have come to meet people who have read thousands of books and are my age, so of course I wish to talk to them!  To learn from them and see what I’ve been missing… To get lost in sentences taken from pages yet unknown!

Moreover, in my need for creation, I need the right space to structure my own sentences, and because I feed off the city centres of each city, of course I need one that will deliver the right type of inspiration!  This is something that I spoke about in entries past: when you absolutely love a place in the world, it does not mean you no longer love the others, it only means that the energy of that place vibrates better within you… The fact is, Mexico is beautiful in so many ways, with incredible architecture, lovely streets and parks, amazing mountains and forests and rainforests.  I always tell people to go there, because why wouldn’t I?  The colour and the culture and yes, even the music is fascinating, and all people should enjoy it if they will.  Now, remember what I’ve said about empirical beauty and all that?  It comes down to everything, really, and Mexican traditional music is empirically good, and the fact that I have no taste for it does not in any way forbid me from accepting that it rings good in many people’s ears for a structural reason, and if I don’t like I just don’t play it, that’s it.  Now, if we combine all the colours and the smells and tastes of Mexico during a nice two-week holiday or something like that, it’s most likely that anyone could get a heapload of inspiration from that!  But by living there, and this is just me speaking from my own experience, my inspiration gets stalled, and I have recently found out that it was not just the music or the heat, like I’d thought all my life, but that it’s also got to do with noise pollution! In Mexico, anywhere you go, there is always something sounding really really loud: it could be because in every block there is a store or two with speakers playing music or store comments at maximum volume; it could be that most of the cars in the street go around with their sound systems in maximum volume; it could be that so many people honk a lot; it could be that everybody drives a bit too fast and there are motors and screeches all around; it could be that when you get on a city bus, the driver is most likely to be playing really bad music at maximum volume; it could be that the same thing happens in cabs; it could be that when you travel from city to city there tends to be action or comedy movies being played in maximum volume AND dubbed, so you also get the Mexican neurosis that seem to be a major requirement that dubbing actors have to have in order to work; it could also be that in city centres you get so many street vendors all screaming at you to look at their stuff; or it could be that everyone around seems to be talking and laughing at the highest volume possible for human beings…  What usually happens when you combine all of these factors when I’m around, and add the heat and altitude of some places, is that none of the voices in my head are properly heard and I get confused and crabby…  None of the stories or chapters seem to come out right, and in the end it takes me longer to write things than it ever does when I’m in England…

Now, I do admit that I like the British architecture better than the Mexican one, but that’s again just a matter of personal taste, not anything personal *against* Mexico… nor has it ever been!  And there is also the weather factor, which, even here, is still too hot for me, btw!  No one believes me, but, oh boy did I suffer at times during this summer!  Anyhu, I tend to walk dazed and confused here in London, but that’s a sign that I am actually writing; when I’m dazed and confused, as opposed to confused and crabby, it means that I got so deep into my chapters or characters or whatever, that I flew off into my world, and it takes me hours to come back down to Earth, hence the Sandra walking around London in such a state that security guards rush up to me to ask if I need help, or, if I am deep in my leisure reading, there’s Sandra most likely walking onto the wrong train…  No biggie, I don’t actually have a problem with it, and am actually quite at peace when it happens because that means that I am satisfied with the work I’ve done over the day…

So, architecture-wise, yes, I find the Fairy-tale look of Europe a lot more appealing, especially English architecture, but be clear on the fact that I also think Mexican architecture is brilliantly beautiful…  Oh, food-wise, I brought it up and never followed the subject: I generally love Mexican food, but cannot biologically handle the amount of meat that gets eaten in that country, and social gatherings tend to revolve around a barbeque of sorts or a meal at a meat-based restaurant…  Oh, and the chilly, it’s not so much that I don’t like it, but that I get so dizzy when I feel that amount of hotness in my mouth, and since I’m already dizzy half the time anyway, I have no desire to use external factors to carry it on.  Well, funny muffins were quite an experience, but that’s neither here nor there… Lol.

In any other matter, it was never an issue of having to choose between the two countries.  Yes, if I have to chose where to live I will say England, but that never meant that Mexico is not a good-enough place for me to be in; yes, if I remain here there is no way my family and friends will ever lose me, because I can visit them and they can visit me; yes, even if I get my British citizenship, guess what, I get to have both nationalities cos we’re allowed to do that now (mini wave, yay!); so, what’s the big deal?  Even a few months back I kept hearing the remainder: Just so you see, Mexico has pretty things, too…  But it was never about that!  I have always been and will always be proud of the wonderful things that Mexico has to offer, be it the arts, culture, history, food, architecture, you name it!  Thing is, I’m already made up of so many things from so many different areas of life, so I don’t find it in any way wrong to accept that as much as I embrace my Mexican side, I’m also happy to embrace whatever it is that makes me British at soul… we’d already established in entries past that it’s not the partying and drinking thing, so it must be the culture thing, right?

Oh, and by-the-by, all I say here about the ways of life of different nationalities, I say not because of stereotypes, but rather because it is what I see every single day of my life in both countries: in the street, public transport, public spaces, school, work areas and even homes of different people…  Things that are not necessarily bad, just, as I already established, not of my personal taste, and there is nothing wrong with that…

Aaaand just to make one last thing clear, I admit that there are many many other elements that make this subject be what it is, but I only have so much space to write it on… and maybe there will be more entries to come, but this is the bit that my soul had to say for now ;)

Oh, but fyi, I've got freinds and family scattered all over the world and not all of them read as much as I do, but that doesn not mean I love them any less!!  I am not *that* fixated!
 
Much love to all and may your weekend be fun, in your own particular way of what fun is!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario